CONTEST: CALL FOR WESTERN NEW YORK ARTISTS & ACTIVISTS
If you are a WNY resident who loves art, who cares about climate justice, class justice, and racial justice, and who would like to win a $100, $50, or $25 prepaid Visa gift card for making artwork, this contest is for you!
NY Renews is an environmental justice coalition with 280+ member organizations across NY State. NY Renews succeeded in pushing the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA), which sets nation-leading standards on green energy goals, into law in 2019. Now it’s time to make the CLCPA’s goals happen by passing the Climate and Community Investment Act (CCIA), the CLCPA’s sister funding bill!
The CCIA will force corporations to pay for the pollution they produce; will invest up to $15B into the creation of sustainable energy infrastructure and high-paying green jobs; will prioritize hiring of women, Black, Indigenous and other people of color, formerly incarcerated people, and unemployed people for those green jobs; and will provide fossil fuel industry workers protection with transitional funding and employment opportunities.
Let’s #MakePollutersPay for the harm they’ve caused in our communities! They’ve committed the crime, so let’s make them pay the price!
CONTEST RULES: To enter the contest, you must
- Be a Western New York resident of any age.
- Sign-up for the contest at http://cit.ac/
CCIAcontestform by 11:59pm on Monday, June 7, 2021 if you will arrive at the action location using your own transportation or if you will participate remotely only, or by 11:59pm on Thursday, June 3, 2021 if you will need transportation support. The contest form includes links to help you find who your State Senator and State Assembly Representative are.
- Create your own, artistic, pro-CCIA protest sign/art piece.
- Show up on time at the action location with your pro-CCIA protest sign/art piece for the Buffalo June 7, 2021 Day of Action, and post by 11:59pm on June 7, 2021 a Twitter / Instagram / Facebook post which:contains all 4 contest hashtags; is addressed to your State Assembly Representative’s and State Senator’s official Twitter or Instagram or Facebook accounts; includes a photo of yourself with your protest sign/art piece at the Buffalo June 3rd Day of Action, if you want to be eligible for the $100 or $50 giftcard prizes. Out of respect for public health and courtesy to others, we do also require that you wear a mask if you attend the Day of Action in-person, even if you have already received your complete COVID-19 vaccination by that date.
- Post by 11:59pm on June 7, 2021 a Twitter or Instagram or Facebook post which: contains all 4 contest hashtags; is addressed to your State Assembly Representative’s and State Senator’s official Twitter or Instagram or Facebook accounts; includes a photo of yourself with your protest sign/art piece, if you want to be eligible for the $25 giftcard prize.
ADDITIONAL CONTEST INFO
- The action location for the Buffalo, NY Day of Action will depend upon which State Assembly Representatives and State Senators have already agreed to help pass the CCIA by Monday, June 7, 2021, so stay tuned to this webpage for up-to-date information on where the Day of Action’s action location will be!
- The four contest hashtags are: #MakePollutersPay, #PassTheCCIA, #InvestNowOrLoseLater, & #WNYArtContestForCCIA. Be sure to spell the hashtags correctly so that we can find your artwork on the platform you used to post it!
- The contest will be judged by the contest organizers. Contest judging will be completed by a few days after June 7 and will be announced at that time. Contest organizers and their family members are disqualified from entering the contest for conflict-of-interest reasons.
- Contest organizers will judge artworks based on the following rubric: 50% = clarity of pro-CCIA message; 50% = colorfulness, aesthetic balance, coherence, and emotional power
- Prizes will be shipped to contest winners based upon their provided contact information.
- If you need transportation to help you get to the Day of Action location, fill out that section in the Google Form, and we will find you a ride! We know that some people may not live close to public transportation routes, or may have mobility issues. We want everybody who cares about climate justice and who wants to attend the Day of Action, to be able to attend.
- To learn more about NY Renews, go to https://www.nyrenews.org
- To learn more about the CCIA, go to http://cit.ac/CCIAinfo